Ancillary Administration: When someone dies residing in a state other than Massachusetts while owning real estate in Massachusetts a special probate process called Ancillary Administration may be needed to allow the real estate to pass to the next rightful owner. Ancillary Administration requires a petition to be filed with the probate court in the county that the real estate is located.